Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Today

Ok some folks might notice that I'm about to plagiarize myself. However, don't worry because I'm sure I won't mind.

The following is an excerpt from an email I recently sent out to members of my old singles group:

Recently I've been pondering on Proverbs 16:9, Hebrews 3:12-14 and James 4:13-17. I feel many of us have a tendency to work against the teachings in these verses. We feel as if we have to plan out our whole lives when in fact we have no power or influence over the future at all. What's worse, we allow ourselves to accept failure and discouragement for not meeting our own expectations. The past is set in stone, the future is the providence of God alone and the present is where and when we live. We are called only to love and obey our Lord (Joshua 22:5). This is not to say many of our desires (marriage, children, better jobs, ministry opportunities, etc...) are wicked only our covetousness (or false idolatry) and obsession with these desires. Our plans and lives ought not to revolve around these desires. The Bible clearly teaches that we are to take all of our thoughts captive (2 Corinthians 10:5). I believe it's a misinterpretation to say these verses only apply to supposedly "bad" thoughts (as we define them). I believe any time we take our eyes off of Jesus Christ we are engaging in "bad" thoughts, even when considering something seemingly as altruistic as ministries. With this in mind we ought to meditate on the application of our faith TODAY to serve and encourage each other in Christ (Hebrews 3:12-14).

Again, I don't believe there is anything wrong with having desires, but, as Christians we all should encourage one another to submit our desires to Jesus Christ, instead of creating false idols of them, as the unbelieving world does. This, I believe, is part of our witness to the world.

No comments: