Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Financial Daze

Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor. Love, for the Day is Near Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. (Romans 13:5-8)

For clarification I don't believe these verses teach that Christians are absolutely not allowed to have debt. I believe these verses pertain more to delinquent debt. However, I also believe there is some relevance to any debt, delinquent or otherwise. I believe as Christians we ought to be very careful about what we buy and more responsible with the funds God has provided us with. I believe Christians should definitely strive to be completely out of debt, instead of buying bigger houses and cars. Crown Financial Ministries has some great teachings on finding that Biblical balance of debt and giving. I also believe Christians, as part of this balance, should be saving and investing a portion of the money we feel God has allotted for our personal use.

I attached an article pertaining to stock market investing. I found it to be interesting. On a more personal note I'm closing on two houses next week. I should reap a decent profit from the house I'm selling, while I'm actually downgrading with the house I'm buying, by about 30%. If it's God's will I should be completely out of debt, except for the new mortgage, by next week. There's no doubt in my mind God has a purpose for all this. I've always had great credit, but I've also been in debt up to my eyeballs before. Meaning, almost all my money was going out to pay bills. Now, however, I'm going to be in a position in which I will have significantly less money going out. I'll be able to have a real savings account, something I haven't had in 8 or 9 years.

No comments: