Thursday, November 16, 2006

Another letter: Quest for the godly church

Below is a copy of an email I sent to a pastor of a Columbia church. I didn't include the final paragraph in my email because I felt it was too much, but it's perfect for a blog article.

Jeff,

I recently moved to the Columbia area from Charleston, SC where I'm still currently a member of East Cooper Baptist Church. For the last few months I've been attending Shandon Baptist Church, but I disagree with too many of their beliefs. My entire immediate family lives in the Columbia and my parents are also looking for a new church body.

I've been saved since the age of 6 and been to numerous churches and denominations. I definitely have strong leanings towards a reformed (Calvinistic) theology, specifically involving eternal salvation and election. I believe Jesus is my Lord and savior, man and God and sinless/blameless in every way, thereby making Him the worthy, unblemished lamb sacrificed for all mankind for the forgiveness of sin.

Based on these core beliefs I would appreciate your comments and answers to some questions I have:

1. Do you have small/community groups? I believe this is essential in fostering encouraging/accountability relationships.
2. Do you have an active singles/young adult group? I'm single, but I'd like to get married when it's God's will, yet I don't want to be a part of a group which is essentially cut off from the rest of the body.
3. Do you not only believe (many churches I've attended accept, but don't seem to believe) but also actively pursue the laying on of hands and anointing of oil by the elders for physical healing? (see James 5:14-15) It is equally important to me that a church both believe and pursue this miracle within the congregation for the glory of Jesus Christ and the furtherance of His gospel.
4. How many members does you church have?
5. How many services?
6. How long have you been at your current location?
7. How many expansion/building projects have you engaged in?
8. What is the church's beliefs on women leading & teaching men?
9. What are the church’s beliefs on personal finances and tithing?
10. Where do most of the tithes go? Internal or external?
11. How much do the pastor(s) make per year, ballpark?
12. Are the pastors held accountable regarding their tithing, personal finances, personal perceptions (leading to pride), messages and leading of the church body?
13. What is the church's take on musical worship? What style of music? Tone of worship?
14. What is the purpose of church planting when Columbia has tons of churches already?

I realize this is a lot, but I'm fed up with attending so many churches which all claim to believe Jesus Christ was raised from the dead, but almost deny this fact in practice and seemingly disregard much of the Bible. I don't understand how a church can claim to believe Jesus died for the sins of the world and then was raised from the dead and now sits at the right hand of the Father and yet doesn't have enough faith to believe someone with cancer or heart problems or even AIDS can be healed. Likewise I'm fed up with churches which claim to believe in miracles, yet seek them for self glorification, instead of giving all the glory to Jesus Christ. I'm fed up with churches which spend millions of dollars focused on expansion projects to supposedly better feed the sheep, while people around the world, even in Columbia, SC, go hungry, can't pay their electric bills and are desperately looking for someone to reach out a hand of love.

No comments: