Saturday, July 29, 2006

Sombody Save Me!

Two for the price of one! ;)

Good ole Remy Zero!

I got on a roll with my previous posting and the below rabbit trail evolved into another posting. I guess you could call this "the problem with multi-mega churches part 4".

False teachings have led church leaders to actually believe the church, and not Jesus Christ, can save the world. Just by attending, church leaders suppose that the entire congregation is saved or at least tolerable. We now see the utter failure of this false teaching and thinking as the world intrudes all the more into the church and thereby dilutes the saltiness. By isolating ourselves from the unbelieving world we have allowed this world to intrude into the church with no repercussions as the immoral brother or sister is virtually never expelled and true accountability is almost non-existent, replaced by support groups where instead of being condemned sin is seen as something we can’t help. Need I even get into the general lack of preaching on repentence? Yes we are born into sin, but never should sin be lauded as anything other then reprehensible before our Holy and sovereign God, especially in light of the high price paid for our forgiveness. The church has essentially cheapened this forgiveness and a pursuit of holiness is seen as prudish. Where accountability is virtually non-existent, discipleship follows, again replaced by these contrived support groups (singles, single again, married, older married, etc...). Essentially this communicates to the congregation that the church knows best how to implement holy relationships. This leaves little room for the working of the Holy Spirit to form accountability and discipleship relationships as the church impatiently contrives these relationships instead of fostering and encouraging them.

I don’t want to attend a men’s only Bible study. I don't want to drive 10 to 30 minutes to this guy’s house so that I can sit around with a bunch of guys and read the Bible, especially after I just spent the entire day working around guys. Outside of the fact that sometimes I simply desire the sensitivity of a sister in Christ, I can read the Bible by myself and probably get more out of it. Besides, what are the chances that I’m really going to click with any of these guys enough to form a discipleship or accountability relationship with? I’ve been to several guys Bible study groups and unfortunately most of these guys don’t exhibit much in the way of any kind of spiritual gifts, or they're afraid of looking uncool or at best seem to be at the very beginning stages of their faith (baby Christians) and not truly seeming to be seeking after the appropriate things. You might say “then why don’t you help these guys out?” Why? Because I essentially believe this would be throwing pearls to swine Matthew 7:6, in most cases.

I’ve met true baby Christians before and I was one many many years ago. A true “baby Christian” will be so on fire for Jesus Christ that I would be put to shame before them as I realize how much I’ve pissed on what they now hold dear. I would be put to shame as they remind me when Jesus first opened my eyes to the truth that an impossible weight had been lifted from me and the massive flood of grace released as a result. Perhaps this is why Christians of old always bow down to worship angels? Perhaps the fact that they had just stood in the presence of a holy God whose light (even indirectly) shamed them almost to death, if that were possible? Isaiah 6:5 Just perhaps.

The first reaction of a “baby” Christian should be to either learn as much as they can as quickly as they can and/or tell everyone about their savior Jesus Christ. Tell me how often have you met these folks? Have you ever experienced this sensation? If you haven’t then you’re truly missing out. It’s better then falling in love because it’s truly falling in love. It’s finding your real soul mate and then realizing He first found you. 1 John 4:19

Let me give you a little bit of advice, place yourself around these folks. Not for their good, but for your own. Yes you may be able to offer them fellowship, but you’ll learn more from them as you witness the Holy Spirit at work in them. Meanwhile you’ll be put to shame by their childlike humility and sincerity and desire this for yourself, or at least you should. Trust me, pray to God, in sincerity of your heart, in the holy name of Jesus Christ and He will hear and act.

Matthew 5:13-16

Prayer:
Father God in heaven, forgive me for my sins and my wretchedness as a wicked rebellious, unloving man. Forgive me in the holy name of Jesus Christ who bore my sins at Calvary. If it’s your will please instill in me a desire to pursue holiness, not for my own glory, but for the glory of Jesus Christ who is worthy of all praise.

I pray you would make me nothing and strip me of everything you’ve blessed me with, if it will save my eternal soul. Father, if it’s your will, release me from my bonds, but if it’s not then please help me to see the grace which you have poured down upon me from your dwelling place. If it’s your will, take this feeble body and put it to the work and furtherance of thy kingdom. In the precious holy name of Jesus Christ I pray.
Our Father which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil:
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.

No comments: