Friday, July 14, 2006

Gut check, part 1

It seems a regular pattern in my life, or rather practice, is to look at myself in the mirror and judge what I see. I’m truly a wicked and wretched man, completely deserving of eternal separation from my Lord and savior Jesus Christ. I must ask myself why. Why, Father, did you have mercy on me? Why did you grab this wretched soul from the miry depths? Am I deserving? No. I am completely lacking, except in what He fills in me.

It’s faith I refer to and this pit in my stomach is most obvious when I’m confronted by the perceived complete lack of faith in Christ by those who claim to be believers. It pains me to see how over and over again those who claim Jesus Christ piss on His cross and try to wash it clean with their filth. Not only does it pain me how they mock my Lord, but also how seemingly oblivious they are to the fires of hell licking at their feet. The worst part is that the church stands by over and over again and watches this deplorable scene. Not only does the church not stop this action they do virtually nothing to at least help these folks out of the fire.

Where’s the accountability? Everyone wants the easy selfish way out. It’s easier (guilt free) to give your child a time out, then to spank them. Again, it’s easier to say “they have to ask me to help them before I’ll help them”, with regards to loving our brothers and sisters in Christ. Where’s the accountability? Ask yourself if you’re part of the problem or part of the solution. I hate that the phrase “God only helps those who help themselves”. How does this measure up against: We love him, because he first loved us (1 John 4:19), or But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved (Ephesians 2:4-5)? Don’t believe the hype. You are your brother’s keeper.

Application:

Instead of waiting on someone else to take an interest in you, you take an interest in them. Instead of wallowing in your fear because you don’t feel mature, confident or bold enough, trust in God. Just do it and then taste and see that the Lord is good. Trust me, not only will you start making friends, but the Lord will use you in the lives of others. You may quite literally save a life just by taking a simple, yet sincere, interest in someone else’s life, but this won’t happen if you don’t venture out of your comfort zones and start engaging the strange, yet quite guy or gal sitting next to you or in the back of the church by themselves.

No comments: