Sunday, July 09, 2006

Secret of all Contentment

Philippians 4:10-14

Well by the grace and mysterious movements of God my situation has changed once again. Not only am I a fully licensed real estate agent, but I’m also a full time engineering manager for a local Columbia company. Outside of leading a couple of Bible studies and discipling a few guys, I’ve never really been in a leadership position before. My hope is that it may be God’s will that through this real estate gig I might fully come out of my shell and shed any fear which might hinder me from sharing the hope found in Jesus Christ with those He brings into my life. My hope for this new engineering job is that God will use this new position to teach me how to express 1 Corinthians 13 in terms of leadership. How can I be an inspiring leader rather then an arrogant tyrant? How could I be an inspiring husband to the wife God may will for me to have in my life? How can I help make it easier for others to serve the Lord rather then burden them with my selfishness and pride?

Now that I’ve lived through having wealth to having no income 3 times, my hope is that God is still answering the question I posed to Him many years ago. That is “Lord teach me the secret of contentment you showed your servant Paul.” Not that I’ve fully adopted this teaching, but that I’m closer to a clearer image.

3 comments:

Greg Hiser said...

Sounds good, Bill. Would suggest you make a list of ways you can lead in such a manner. Would suggest keeping the Golden Rule in mind. I, for one, would love a boss to come by and encourage me periodically - "Great job!", "You're doing good work", etc, etc. Might seem trite, but actually means a lot - especially when you add their name.

John David Henderson said...

So, if you have two jobs can I borrow one? Seriously, the first thought that came to me on leadership in the workplace is that there's a fine line between a boss who people like and one who they respect. Making the tough decisions and getting things done, being firm with people when needed but still showing that you care about them as you do... thats good fatherhood training. A few little Bill's might benefit from your lessons here. Glad to hear things are going well in the material sense.

redeemed said...

Greg,

That bit you said about reinforcements and encouragements is good stuff. This works in ANY form of leadership. I think it's good for all of us to be more ready with a compliment then with a criticism. So often it seems we enjoy tearing each other down much more then building each other up.

John,

My prayer is that God would teach me through these experiences more then anything else. Be careful not to get too caught up in your current circumstances. If you do then you'll miss the part of the big picture God really wants you to see. That is Jesus Christ. It is His strength you can trust in, especially when you are weak.