Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Insufficient God?

Has there ever been a time in your life when you wondered if there was a way you could help God do His work in your life? Maybe speed it up a little? Here’s an example: You pray for a spouse and read in the Bible that “it’s not good for man to be alone” (Genesis 2:18) or “if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? (Ecclesiastes 4:10-12). You feel in your heart a desire to be married and you feel God has promised you a spouse, or at least it shouldn't be contrary to His will. At this point it’s easy to be put into the temptation of justified or rationalized sin (in other words work outside of God’s revealed will). In order to accomplish God’s working in your life you must do something to help Him out because “He only helps those who help themselves”. This is how many Christians, in this case, end up committing adultery or fornication, especially with nonbelievers or worse actually marry a nonbeliever. All these actions are obviously contrary to God’s revealed will, however, easily rationalized through desperation or impatience.

*The revealed will of God is found in His Holy Bible

A prime example of someone trying to help God along or, more truthfully, justifying sin, is found with Abraham. Abraham had a promise from God and he believed God.

Genesis 15:1-6

However, though Abraham believed God, he didn’t understand Him at all or more likely he believed God wouldn’t notice or would excuse his indiscretion. Abraham justified his actions through the approval of his wife and supposed desire to fulfill God’s promise to him.

Genesis 16

So from this text it can be easily seen that Sarah desired a child, like most women of this time period. It can also be observed that she didn’t believe the Lord’s promise to Abraham; however, she knew Abraham’s expectation would be to have a son with her. Her honor was more at stake now then ever before in her life. So between Sarah’s unbelief and Abraham’s lust, sin entered into this situation. First with Abraham's adultery and secondly with Sarah's jealousy.

God then was more specific in the promise and outlined it to both Sarah and Abraham in chapter 18:

Genesis 18:1-13

It’s interesting to note that Sarah continued in her unbelief, Abraham questioned his (though directly to the Lord) and yet God still fulfilled His end of the covenant. He obviously didn't need any help from either of them. I also find it interesting that the maid servant (Hagar) believed and obeyed God without question.

So can, or rather will, God work His will in our lives despite our bad decisions or sin? Yes. However, there’s always a price. In this case Abraham played a part in the creation of some of Israel’s future enemies. To this day Israel is still paying the price for Abraham’s sin.

God doesn’t need our help for anything. He desires our love, obedience and trust, not our help. If you want to get married, have children or get a new job then give these desires over to God and pray that He will give you the patience and humility to carry on without. It’s not about what you desire. It’s about the glorification of Jesus Christ in all our lives.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Watchman Nee put it well "God supplies all are needs in Christ." It is important that we be honest with God about our unbelief so that God may help us.

Anonymous said...

"God doesn’t need our help for anything. He desires our love, obedience and trust, not our help. If you want to get married, have children or get a new job then give these desires over to God and pray that He will give you the patience and humility to carry on without. It’s not about what you desire. It’s about the glorification of Jesus Christ in all our lives."

I agree. But there IS a time to move upon desires. Bill, could you give me some examples (perhaps personal stories?)of when you have known it was time to act? I tend to be over-cautious about things and have difficulty making decisions. I know the sunday school answer: act when it is God's timing. Move when the Lord tells you and when it IS glorifying to Him. I would like to just hear of how it is done experientially. Others are welcome to reply too. Thanks.

redeemed said...

Since I'm admittedly an opinionated person, I'll share my opinions all day long. However, I want to try to be very careful about giving advice to a specific person, as each situation, as with each person, is unique and I don't want to get in the way of the Holy Spirit's specific work in your life. Your cautious decision making may be good for you or it may be indicative of a much larger issue of trusting in the Lord and finding your confidence in Him. I mention this because God is most definitely working on me in this area. I find the more I trust in Jesus Christ, rely on Him (especially through prayer) and use common sense, the freer I am to be decisive without worrying about it. I found in myself that worrying is typically indicative of control issues.

However, I will offer an example from my personal life:

Recently I left one bad job for another bad job; of course I didn't know this till I started at the new job. I've been struggling to understand why God would allow me to make such a seemingly bad decision again after I spent so much time in prayer. However, this supposedly bad decision has put me in a situation in which I find myself living with my parents again. Even though I don't want to live with my parents and I really hate my new job, this time with my parents has been a real blessing and I've had the opportunity to share my faith with a co-worker who is from Iran. Much as the seemingly bad decision to take my last job opened the door for me to share my faith with about 6 former co-workers (some of whom I'm still in contact with) as well as to be introduced to the best church family I've ever had.

I try to make decisions in prayer, taking into consideration my heart, as well as considering all the possible outcomes and consequences based on the limited information I have in my head and give it all over to God. Let Him deal with the worry as He has infinitely more information and wisdom then I do.

There are plenty of times in life as a Christian when risk is necessary in order to progress in life. Sometimes we need to jump off that cliff and trust that Jesus will catch us. We need to jump off that cliff into missions work, or seminary or marriage or just patiently wait or stay put.

It's significantly much more important for us to be made more like Jesus Christ (as we were all reborn in Him) and spread His kingdom then it is to be in a great job or making lots of money or even married. Though in and of themselves these things aren't bad, God's success is based on love, forgiveness, faith, obedience and humility. This is the true sign of success in God's eyes.

redeemed said...

I should also mention that the article was intended to specifically address justification or rationalization to commit sin (see the 10 commandments or the beatitudes) instead of waiting on the perfect will of God, as Abraham should've.

John David Henderson said...

I totaly agree with this statement: "He desires our love, obedience and trust, not our help.", however, this leaves me with a big question. What is the difference between obedience and help? That one confuses me to no end and affects how I live out my daily life. Take the spouse situation, I think I'm being obedient by looking for a wife but when does it cross the line and become me trying to do what only God can? I think sometimes we try to obey and are simply inefective,which means, that we should make changes and go about our obedience in a way that gets better results. Now if my search for a wife is not going well should I try to figure out a more effective obedience (let's say joining a new singles group at church)or see it as a sign that He has different timing? Am I messing up or is God saying "no" ? That question is one of my biggest strugles right now.

redeemed said...

John,

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Maybe more specifically you're making an idol out of a mole hill?

"What is the difference between obedience and help?"
There's a big difference. Webster defines help as: to give assistance or support to. Obedience is defined as: submissive to the restraint or command of authority.

If God requires our help then He needs our assistance. If, however, God desires our obedience, then His expectation is that we will submit to His will. I'm stating that God absolutely does not need, nor desire, our help. In fact, I'll go so far as to say the desire to help God is the desire to be God and this is a result of pride.

"when does it cross the line and become me trying to do what only God can?"

Anytime you're doing or thinking about something other then the ultimate glory of Jesus Christ! What is your motivation or intentions for making a particular decision?

"if my search for a wife is not going well should I try to figure out a more effective obedience or see it as a sign that He has different timing?"

There is only one obedience and that's to Christ. Anything else is disobedience and self seeking desires. God's timing belongs to Him alone. If you need to make a decision weigh everything in your life on the scales of Jesus Christ. Strain it through His love, give your desires over to Him and pray about the decision. Then just make it and continue to pray that God's will be done. If you fail (in your eyes) perhaps you have succeeded in God's. God's success is measured in relation to Christ. Has this experience (whether we think it's bad or not) brought me closer to Jesus? Have I learned a valuable lesson?

"Am I messing up or is God saying "no" ?"

Perhaps you're not asking the right questions. You're only messing up when you make decision based soley on yourself. Even then God's will in your life will prevail. You see, however, even though God's plans will succeed you could have to live with the consequences of a bad/sinful decision for the rest of your life (see the Abraham example).

God always says "YES" to Jesus Christ and following Him. If God says "NO" or "NOT YET" then it is for both our benefit and Christ's glory.

Try these questions: "God, what is your desire for my life?" & "How can I be used to glorify Jesus Christ in my life?"

Try praying: "Father God, show me the depths of your love found only in your son Jesus Christ so that I may love as you do.", "Father God, take this weak vessel and glorify your son Jesus Christ with it. Show me how to serve and consider others better then myself so that my focus is on their problems and not my own.", "Father guide me in my decisions. If it's your will I'd like to do X. Please close this door if it's not your will. If however, it is your will then bring glory to your son Jesus Christ through X."