Wednesday, September 23, 2020

The warrior

 


"The Portion of Jacob is not like them, For He is the Maker of all things; And Israel is the tribe of His inheritance. The Lord of hosts is His name. “You are My battle-ax and weapons of war: For with you I will break the nation in pieces; With you I will destroy kingdoms; With you I will break in pieces the horse and its rider; With you I will break in pieces the chariot and its rider; With you also I will break in pieces man and woman; With you I will break in pieces old and young; With you I will break in pieces the young man and the maiden; With you also I will break in pieces the shepherd and his flock; With you I will break in pieces the farmer and his yoke of oxen; And with you I will break in pieces governors and rulers."

Jeremiah 51:19-23

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword."

Matt. 10:34


The other day I was listening to a Wild at Heart podcast which was discussing how we must live life with an open hand. This means not clinging to the things of this earth and not having our identity hinged on the things or even relationships of this life. 

"Remember Lot’s wife. Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it." Luke 17:32-33

There is a call to maturity in Christ and it's increasingly becoming a necessity as a believer. As time moves forward there will be less grace towards this, less of an option to just sit in the pews and live like hell during the week. Less of an option to walk the fence. There is an increasing call to react to Jesus' life, sacrifice and claim to be God. Was He who He claimed to be or not and what does this mean for my life, for all our lives? The time to live with blinders on is quickly coming to an end, either with the end of our lives or the end of this age. A choice will need to be made. A choice to live in the bitterness, discontentment and unforgiveness of this dark world or the choice to see Jesus as the way, the only way, holder of absolute truth and fullness of life. 

The above verses in Jeremiah I believe have at least three meanings. One is against the actual ancient Babylonian empire, the second is against the Babylon referenced in the NT and the third is the kingdom of darkness, ruled by satan. Some of the same terminology from this chapter are also used in the NT regarding the end times Babylon. However, I'd like to highlight the spiritual kingdom of darkness. This is the kingdom Jesus is most at war with and which He will be most severe with. The portion of Jacob and Lord of hosts mentioned here, I believe, refers to Jesus. I believe Jesus is more concerned with breaking the kingdom of darkness than with earthly kingdoms. He wants to break the hold of demons and the agreements we make with them. He wants to break our unholy attachments to material possessions, jobs and relationships. God is a jealous god who will not tolerate us worshipping other gods, even relationships we have with other people, even spouses and children. 

Last night and this morning I listened and prayed along with both the bedtime and daily prayer using the Wild at Heart app. One of the things prayed for is that all spiritual attachments outside of the love and spirit of God be cut off between me and all other people. This is critical with regards to loving people the way God does. When we cut these unhealthy soul ties we can actually love others better, including spouses and children. We cease to see ourselves defined through these relationships, but through Jesus alone, so these relationships take their proper places in our lives and hearts. These above verses make it clear God will not abide anything less. The language is fierce and unwavering. We shouldn't take God's patience and grace as a sign of His slackness with regards to this or worse that He approves of our decisions. Yes He will be patient and show grace to us and even bless us, but we are mortal creatures and it's vital we get it right before we go to be with the Lord for eternity. 

So God brought a wonderful spouse and children into your life. This is a good blessing. However, we see over and over how people abuse the blessings of God. See 2 Kings 20 concerning Hezekiah. Your spouse is not God, neither are your children, neither is your job. Our identity is in Jesus alone. Interestingly, once we let go of these idols in our lives we actually are free to love our spouses and children better and we are free to do an even better job. Why? We are no longer tied to the death grip of the fear of losing these. We are free of the expectations these idols provide us with what only God can so our love for these becomes more pure and true. We can do a better job because we lose the fear of losing the job or failing somehow because it's on our shoulders. We give these burdens over the the Lord and trust in His goodness. We trust He loves our families and friends more and better than us. We trust in His goodness to provide. We trust if this job does eventually go away, He has another assignment for us. This life isn't about building our kingdoms, it's about building His and when we live life with an open hand we can let go and receive at the proper times. I'm not referring to avoiding pain and heartache, I'm referring to trusting in the innate goodness and high love of God in Jesus through times of suffering. 

Father, forgive me for continually looking to some future job or wife as a means to arrive in life and find meaning. Forgive me for the agreements I seem to continually make with the vile orphan spirit which tells me it's all up to me, you will only help me once I help myself and ultimately You really don't care about what matters most to me. Forgive me for me desire to do it on my own, for autonomy. Forgive, heal and help me to break these agreements once and for all in the mighty name of Jesus. Hear my prayers and have mercy on me and forgive me for the sake of Your Son Jesus Christ. Now I know You already do forgive me by the blood of Jesus, but I need to now forgive myself and all those who have offended or wounded me. I'm unable to do this on my own, so I call forth the power of the blood of Jesus Christ to do what I can't and release all forgiveness and break all soul ties of bitterness and unforgiveness between myself and all others. I break the lies of the enemy now in Jesus name. I bring the cross, blood and resurrection of Jesus into my life today. When I fail and am weak, may others see Your strength and glorify the name of Jesus, despite my own severe lacking. I do pray for Your war in my life against these wicked spirits and my wicked desire to be apart from You. Heal me and open my eyes, ears and heart to Your voice. May I welcome it and it's rebuke of the lies. I thank you that You continually forgive me, continually restore me, continually bless me and continually look out for my best interests and have since I was a child. Truly You are my Father and I am not an orphan. Look upon Your lowly servant today. Help me to put this new job opportunity in it's rightful place in my life and heart and let go of the lie that it's up to me to find a place to live for the entire time, find good community or a special lady. Those these are all good things and blessings, I let go of the lie that it's up to me to figure these out and make things happen. I say yes to Jesus and yes to everything You have for me Father and I receive Your yes to every answered prayer, blessing and provision in my life which You provide to me as Your son. Now, Father, I pray for Your peace and rest which surpasses my ability in the flesh to understand, but I will be made to understand as You work in my heart. Consume me with Your Holy fire of love and the water of life as these counter the evil powers of hate and death which are rampaging lies and destruction across this world. Thank you for providing me with a much needed long slumber last night. I'm sorry it took me two days of suffering as I tried to work it out on my own before I came to You. You are always good to me and immediately acted on my behalf, even though I made bad choices which were counter to Your wisdom in my life. I pray this season of suffering, fear and loss would be as beauty from ashes. Please take the ashes of my mistakes, sins, suffering, fears, tears and losses and make something beautiful from them. In Jesus name.

No comments: