Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Harsh Backhand of Christianity: Part 2 - Cause and Effect

I feel I need to embellish a bit more on this topic:

I want to start this article off by asking the reader to consider the following scenario: You're in a city during a gay rally and you have the opportunity to join up with one of two groups of "Christians". The first group is holding up signs like 'Homosexuals are going to Hell'. The second group is working a stand which is giving out free water and when asked are saying "We're doing this because Jesus loves you". Which of these two groups is most probably doing the work of the Lord?

Here's the real point I'm trying to make: we Christians focus on fleshly concerns rather then spiritual, far too often. I wasn't trying to suggest that Christians can go too far with our battle cries to ban this or that. I was directly accusing many "Christians" of focusing on their pride rather then their duties as priests and witnesses of Jesus Christ. I really didn't mean to focus so much negative attention on the AFA, however. They've demonstrated against abortion rights and keep abreast of political agendas which are contrary to us being able to worship our Lord and I hope God blesses them for these endeavors.

My article wasn't intended to be an anti-AFA campaign, only a wake up call to Christians. An encouragement to focus on the dark forces of this world and not some obscure show written by an even more obscure writer. However, I would argue that there was no contending with the faith in this situation. This is a TV show! Don't watch it, if you don't like it. I would go so far to say that far too many Christians spend far too much time in front of the tube as it is. Besides, from what I've heard, with or without the AFA's intervention, the show was doomed. We have to stop focusing on the flesh so much. Think about it this way, what if the AFA had instead asked the 600,000+ people to send just $1 to a missionary or a ministry or New Orleans or to buy Bibles to hand out to impoverished lost people or to buy food for these same people?

Take a moment to really think about this. Was the witness of Jesus Christ really in danger from this TV show? I would contend that shows like 'Desperate Housewives', 'Friends' or 'Sex in the City' are far far more insidious because many Christians watch these shows and adopt some of these perspectives. A perspective like fornication (or rather using the opposite sex as a confidence booster) isn't that bad because everyone's doing it, lying can be good (if you're protecting yourself or the feelings of others. I hear "little white lies" all the time from Christians) and you can get everything you desire (just don't count the cost). These are all very subtle aspects of a very real wickedness which is seeping under the doors of our churches while we all are focused on the distractions Satan gives us (like the 'Book of Daniel'). We can all pat ourselves on the back for a job well done while our children's minds are being corrupted in our schools, as they are subtly taught that homosexuality is normal and we know nothing about it. Then we can all sit back and watch as our children move onto the immoral lifestyles adopted by most folks (yes I'm referring to "Christians") when they enter college. All the while the Christian parents are clueless because they're not involved in the lives of their children. Their obsession with selfish endeavors, intentional ignorance and self-confidence issues keep them from loving their children the way God intended and force their children to try to find counsel from lost friends and other clueless Christians struggling with the same issues (the blind leading the blind). Then these same children (now adults, whether they choose to except this or not) have to learn the hard way that they have changed the course of their lives forever. They're marriages will never be what they were intended to be and they'll never be as potent as they could've been for the kingdom because their parents never really intervened in their lives and the churches never really stepped up to disciple these kids. They're not getting the consistent discipleship they need.

I want to write a resounding "Thank God for ministries like Campus Crusade for Christ, Young Life and godly youth pastors"! I believe God is using these ministries (domestic missions) and folks to disciple these confused and lost students. However, in some ways these ministries are like giving someone a piece of delicious manna from heaven only to say, after they finish eating it, that they can never have it again. Now I'm most definitely not placing the blame on these ministries, except that they need to more boldly and aggressively pursue church partnerships for continuing this discipleship with these college folks after college. Likewise the church has to do even more to reach out in real partnership with these ministries. As is stands now these college folks will find out that the discipleship and ministry opportunities they were enjoying in college aren't there for them when they get out. Suddenly they're hit with adult decisions with little to no fellowship to hold them accountable or encourage them. Some of them wonder through life confused about relationships or they get married, perhaps hoping to fill that emptiness inside them, but the vicious cycle starts all over again when they start having children and Satan's won yet another battle against God's people by making us spiritually impotent.

I'm going to continue to beat this into the ground until either I see real change in the church or God changes my heart. I want to see more discipleship in the church! I want to see parents accepting the forgiveness of Jesus Christ and acting on this freedom and power to lovingly and attentively bring up their children. I want to see these same parents then firmly set the boundaries with their children once they reach the teenage years and remain close, even if they push you away. I want to see parents and churches working with campus ministries to help plug their young adult children into adult oriented biblically modeled discipleship relationships. I want to then see this continue after college. I want to then see younger and older married couples taking these young adults under their wings and discipling them on what it means to be godly husbands and wives and taking an active role in introducing these young adults to members of the opposite sex. I then want to see this discipleship turn into premarital counseling and continue on for the rest of their lives. I want to see Christians actually loving on other Christians, greeting each other with a holy kiss or at least a holy embrace. I want to see the church rise up in the name of Jesus Christ to commit to the future leadership of the church in God through the work of the Holy Spirit in their children. Let's give them every opportunity to hear His words and encourage them to do all things for the glory of Jesus Christ.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill, I like your past few postings. I would like to add something to the conversation. According to John Piper in his book Desiring God, “the chief end of man is to glorify God by enjoying him forever” this is what he says is the essence of Christian Hedonism. All we need can be found in our relationship with God. This is something that we don’t find taught in churches today. They may beat morality down our throat but they do it from a more works based approach. Christians need to start to understand that God can meet all our needs. The problem is that too many people really believe in the world and only give lip service to God. God wants our hearts or to put it another way he wants us. He doesn’t want us to do this or do that he wants us. He wants us to give our whole being to Him or to put it another way he wants us to completely give ourselves to Him. Many people think that if I do this thing for a church function then I am pleasing God. They do this without giving themselves completely over to God. They still want to live by the world’s rules and standards. I think that there are two Biblical principles that can be of use. First, Jesus said that we can’t serve two masters because one we will despise. I think the one that will wind up being despised is God. The other is from Galatians 2:20 where Paul says “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” The key to this verse is that it is no longer I but Christ who lives. The old man was crusified with Christ and the new man now lives. I think this is part of where brother Bill is going with his past few articles.

Anonymous said...

I suggest that people read an article from a blog that I am a part of. This piece is not by me but a close friend of mine. I believe that it could further help in this discussion.

http://thearc.wordpress.com/

The title is "Loving the Brethren in Christ" this may be of some benefit.

redeemed said...

I was actually reading Jonathan Ewards sermon "All Graces of Christainity are connected" which I feel is another good resource on this topic.

Greg Hiser said...

A few more thoughts.

I actually agree with Patrick on the tv thing. I don't own one and from the looks of things doubt it would be a good investment! One more sacrifice to the couch potato god.

There are clearly battles to fight in the culture war. And, as Bill rebukes, we need to be mindful of how we fight them, lest we destroy our witness in the process. We can't legislate morality, but we can be the voice of reason and the sweet call of Truth. While at times tough, it's still love.

Also, I may be nitpicky here (in fact I know everyone hates a critic), but I think we need to work on our grammar/spelling a bit. Whether or not those errors detract from the power of one's argument, they undoubtedly distract. I'm certainly not claiming immunity! Just think we'd all benefit from proof-reading/editing our own posts before publishing.