Thursday, January 05, 2006

Communion

1 Corinthians 11:17-34

In the following directives I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good. In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it. No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God's approval. When you come together, it is not the Lord's Supper you eat, for as you eat, each of you goes ahead without waiting for anybody else. One remains hungry, another gets drunk. Don't you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you for this? Certainly not!
For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.
Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. But if we judged ourselves, we would not come under judgment. When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.
So then, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for each other. If anyone is hungry, he should eat at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment.

I was reading these verses the other day when something jumped off the page at me. It’s funny, to me, but my focus for communion has always been self examination in lieu of Christ’s sacrifice. Now while this focus is scriptural and correct, in studying the above verses, it is lacking in full recognition of the failings of the church, with regards to communion.

Let me begin my exegesis by first sharing something from my past: I lived in Springfield, OH from about 1997 till 2000. During my time there I attended a church called Southgate Baptist Church. I very much enjoyed the pastor’s teaching and particularly the way this church observed communion. There was given a time for everyone to silently examine themselves in prayer before the Lord and focus our thoughts on the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Then the pastor would read the verses pertaining to eating of the bread, we’d all then eat the bread, he’d read the verses about the wine and we’d drink the grape juice. I particularly like the time of silent examination.

Too many churches focus way too much on keeping everyone entertained, but I digress. If I focus back on the above mentioned failings of the church, with regards to communion, then I need to focus on the tradition of communion. That is, I hold the opinion that the way most churches perform communion is a carry over from the Catholic church and misses one of the intentions of communion. Where’s the fellowship aspect of communion? Re-read the above verses again. Observe Paul’s admonishments, but also observe what he’s not saying. There is a very direct inference here that the early church was actually breaking bread and having a meal together. A real meal, not a vial of grape juice and a fingernail size piece of bread. We’ve completely lost sight of the fellowship aspect of communion. We’ve completely lost sight of the Last Supper when, not so coincidentally, Jesus and His disciples observed the Passover as they ate together. Absolutely yes, it is most important to silently examine oneself prior to communion, but this should be done corporately, with opportunities to settle unresolved issues we may have with fellow believers, with opportunities to prayer corporately for forgiveness and for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ and in unity, as brothers and sisters in Christ eating and drinking in remembrance of our Passover. In remembrance of the Lamb who was slain and whose blood covers not only the first born, but all those who belong to Him.

Communion is not a time for all of us to feel like one big happy family. It’s not a time for unbelievers to feel like they belong with believers. It’s most definitely not a time to perform an act which will make us more acceptable or pleasing to God, for this would negate the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Also it is not a time for division, but for unity in Christ. Whether wine or grape juice, whether bread or a real meal, it is the intention, as it always is with God. It is our heart He seeks above all. It is through our hearts, through the working of the Holy Spirit, that Jesus Christ can glorify Himself. It is not about any of us at all, by any measure, but about Jesus Christ, the glory He receives and the love we show to one another.

So, if it is most desirable and practical to drink a vial of grape juice and a sliver of bread then do so, but don’t neglect fellowship for practicality. It is relationships which we desire: First, with God, through the work of the Holy Spirit, secondly, with brothers and sisters in Christ, in love through the forgiveness bought by Jesus Christ. Last, but not least, with nonbelievers, as it glorifies Jesus Christ.

As scripture teaches, let us spend time in silent examination and so prepare our hearts to humbly remember the Lamb who was slain. Let us, in considering others better then ourselves, and so in unity in Christ, eat the bread and drink the wine together. As Jesus said “do this in remembrance of me”.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems that one possible reason for our need of communion offering is that we now live outside the law. This means that self-examination is so important. Or as Dylan once said "to live outside the law you must be honest" I think that being honest before God is essential to spiritual growth. Communion seems to offer up a way to be honest before God and ourselves.

Greg Hiser said...

Hey Bill!

I liked your emphasis there near the end on fellowship. I think that aspect has somehow been lost in our present rituals. But then again, I've always had a hard time grasping what communion should look like.

redeemed said...

Tom I agree with you. I hope I didn't present an opinion which is to the contrary. Again my overall theme with this blog is basically "how we humans are doing church wrong". My answer to this is always the Word.

Greg I would just continue to encourage you towards more and more of the Word, prayer and fellowship in Christ. The more you grow in Christ the more evident the answers will appear in His Word.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill, I think your assesment is pretty good. I tend to think that many Christians forget about the importance of being genuine. I have and I am sure you have experienced people in the church acting a certain way for what seems to be unpure motives. That is obviously an obsicle that only God can conqure.
I think what you are attempting to do with this is good and with good intentions. So I would encourage you to continue on because even if there seems like little or no ground is being made God is the one who will bless it and allow things happen.