Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Pilgrim's Toll



Today I was praying God would open the door of friendship to me as He did to Moses and give me a heart like His servant David's. Interesting that after I prayed this I read: Then a certain scribe came and said to Him, “Teacher, I will follow You wherever You go.” And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.” Then another of His disciples said to Him, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” But Jesus said to him, “Follow Me, and let the dead bury their own dead.” (Matthew 8:19-22)

By this point in Jesus' ministry He was very well known and it was clearly evident His popularity was still very much on the rise. Now consider the oppression of the Roman Empire, the cries of the people for their messiah and Jesus making His powerful entrance into this. It's very likely the scribe in verse 19, the disciple in verse 21 and even The 12 apostles (especially Judas) were all expecting Jesus to be a conquering king messiah. He would not only free them from the oppression of the Romans but take their empire from them. We know now that Jesus came to establish a spiritual kingdom, spiritual freedom and seat us beside Him as more than conquerors in a spiritual sense. It was this self centered perspective Jesus was continually cutting through and still is.

"Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head."

The scribe said "I will go wherever you go". I believe Jesus' reply to him was both specific to the heart of this scribe and revealing a cost of following Him. I believe Jesus is using the foxes and birds as an analogy of creatures of this world (animals and those on the "wide road"), which follows the theme in His second reply. Basically I believe Jesus is revealing a nomadic existence for those who want to follow after Him. Though it's not a promise it does seem to be almost an assumed cost of following Jesus. I know I've seen this played out in my life, my family and many other Christians'.

However, don't take my word for it. Consider the following verses and decide for yourself the implications:

By faith Abraham dwelt in the land of promise as  in  a foreign country,  dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob,  the heirs with him of the same promise; (Hebrews 11:9).

 These all died in faith,  not having received the  promises, but  having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced  them  and  confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.  For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland.  And truly if they had called to mind that country from which they had come out, they would have had opportunity to return.  But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country.  Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them. (Hebrews 11:9, 13-16)

The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify of it that its works are evil. (John 7:7) 
“If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.    If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. (John 15:18, 19)

There are multiple tests for the believer in the Bible and it would seem there are various levels. The question is: what do you want? Do you desire a closer relationship with Jesus? Are you willing to count the cost? Are you seeking that better country or are you satisfied with what this world offers?

Know that no one is holding you back; not your parents, spouse, the enemy and especially not God. Jesus desires good and better things for all of us. You are the only person holding you back.

No comments: