Thursday, December 08, 2005

It's beginning to look a lot like Xmas, or Holiday

There has been much discussion in blog-dom concerning this trend of the megachurches canceling Christmas services. Well I guess I'm throwing my name into the hat as well. However, someone else has hit the nail on the head with this whole issue, in my opinion. I was reading the Internet Monk's thoughts on this and I found myself with little else to say. He pretty much sums up my feeling on all this. Basically, the issue isn't about putting one day above another or "how dare you cancel Christmas? This is the Lord's day!". We all know that everyday is the Lord's day. This issue is about fullfilling the great commission, or more basically, promoting a godly witness. It's our witness, as a Christian community which is the issue. Every year the godless in this nation are pushing out God and every year we (the church) are letting them. It's not about protecting my beliefs, it's about protecting my witness. God doesn't need to protect His honor, but He has left us as stewards of this world. There's a responsibility in that.

Here's a quote from the Internet Monk's article on this topic and I would encourage anyone to read it. I feel it sums up my feelings (click on the title of this article to see the Internet Monk's original article):

“In Dicken’s Christmas Carol, Scrooge sees Bob and Tiny Tim return from Christmas Day worship:
`And how did little Tim behave?'’ asked Mrs Cratchit, when she had rallied Bob on his credulity and Bob had hugged his daughter to his heart’s content.
“As good as gold,'’ said Bob, “and better. Somehow he gets thoughtful, sitting by himself so much, and thinks the strangest things you ever heard. He told me, coming home, that he hoped the people saw him in the church, because he was a cripple, and it might be pleasant to them to remember upon Christmas Day, who made lame beggars walk, and blind men see.'’


And Scrooge himself, with a changed nature…
He went to church, and walked about the streets, and watched the people hurrying to and fro, and patted children on the head, and questioned beggars, and looked down into the kitchens of houses, and up to the windows: and found that everything could yield him pleasure. He had never dreamed that any walk — that anything — could give him so much happiness. In the afternoon he turned his steps towards his nephew’s house.

I’m glad for the churches who will still give Tiny Tim and Scrooge the opportunity to hear the message of Christ on, of all days of the year, December 25th.”

No comments: